Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Philosopher's Rant

Dammit, I'm tired. I'm tired of having to explain myself every time I tell someone that I majored in Philosophy. "oh... Philosophy, eh? What are you going to do with that?" What am I going to do with a background in Philosophy? What am I going to do?! It doesn't even matter what it is that I'll do, I'm going to do it logically. I'm going to do it ethically. I'm going to do it while being aware. Shit. I'm not going to work at Burger King. I'm not going to be a pseudo-existential, apathetic slacker whose only argument against every question of purpose is "why?". Do you think that Plato was working for minimum wage, complaining about the inability of the individual to make significant change? Was Kant a bum, whining about how ethical decisions are all relative? Was Satre a loser who let others label him as an entertainment whose ideas were interesting, but not applicable in real life? NO! Hell no they weren't.
You know what, I'm not going to be a teacher in the ivory tower, and I may not ever write any philosophical works, but does that mean that my degree was all for naught? Does that mean that I've stored volumes of useless knowledge that will never be used again? Fuck that. Philosophy, if nothing else, has taught me how to LIVE. Philosophy has taught me to critically analyze my beliefs and to not settle for contradictions. Philosophy has taught me to break down the arguments of my opponent, reshape them to my benefit, then give them an intellectual dick slap in the face. What am I going to do with a background in Philosophy? Shit. What are you going to do without it?


4 comments:

:lauren: said...

now that's more like it. love ya, babe.

:lauren: said...

hey. call me. i miss you.

and write another post, while you're at it. i know you too well to believe you have nothing to say. :)

and fucking call me, ok?

Jesse said...

I want to know what the url is when you leave a comment

Jesse said...

what is it again?