Friday, February 16, 2007

Let's all jump off a roof!

I've recently started a new activity known as Parkour. It's less an activity, though, than a philosophy; a way to live your life. It's a way of looking at the world such that obstacles are dealt with instinctively, goals are reached effectively, and momentum is never lost. When watching a traceur, one who performs Parkour, what you'll see is someone running at full speed, overcoming every obstacle with grace and ease. No hesitation. And that is the ultimate goal of any traceur - to not think about how they'll surpass their obstacle while minimizing loss of speed. If there is a gap, jump over it. If there is a wall, run up it. If there is a cliff, jump off it. This is why it is as much a philosophy as an activity. It commands you to go through life at full speed when achieving your goals. When an obstacle appears, don't deny it, don't demolish it, don't dance around it. Just get through, over, under, whatever it without thinking. You already know how to get past your obstacle, you merely need to trust yourself. Parkour says that, when interacting with your environment, your body knows how jump, how to land, how to climb, we simply don't believe that it does. The first lesson in Parkour is learning how to get past that fear that we don't know what to do. Get past that idea that humans are weak, fragile animals that are helpless in nature unless they have their weapons. Our species eluded lions and bears and saber-toothed tigers for millennia, and we didn't do it by trying to fell a tree to cross a ravine. We simply jumped over.
Of course, Parkour is as much about knowing your limits as it is about breaking them. There are many glamorous leaps and bounds in Parkour, but one must work up to those. Start small, the very first lesson in Parkour is re-learning how to jump properly. You'll quickly progress into one story leaps and rolling when landing, but this isn't an activity for the weak of heart. The essence, again, is no hesitation, and if you can't perform an action without hesitating, then you're not ready for it. It's best to have a partner when doing Parkour, not just to critique your form, but also for safety's sake... let's be honest, this is a little crazy. The best environment is, not surprisingly, a child's park. There are pointless obstacles and small and large jumps everywhere you look, and the best are those with sand or mulch floors for a 'soft' landing. That said, try to practice during non-popular hours or near dusk. Children tend to be quite fascinated with traceurs, not surprisingly, although, to the parent's consternation, they also like to mimic them.
The park as a practice environment brings up another interesting aspect of Parkour. No matter how hard you're pushing yourself while practicing, it's difficult not to smile while doing Parkour. Everything becomes a potential obstacle, every accomplished maneuver is a success, every missed jump is just a reason to try it again. Simple activities become fun again, and you start to realize just how we used to entertain ourselves when we were kids, many of us having complained to have forgotten. The activity itself is primal. We are reverting back to the innate capabilities developed through evolution, and simply applying them to our urban environment. People do Parkour for many reasons, but I do it to re-connect with my natural self. I've always believed that I've been uncoordinated and unable to achieve a goal using my physical abilities. I've always relied on my mental abilities, and though it has gotten me far in life, I want to achieve a balance. Parkour is helping me believe in myself, and getting a little closer to actually being able to do whatever I want to do. So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go jump off a roof.

If you want to learn more about Parkour or order the training DVD, go to www.americanparkour.com


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. I have been doing Parkour for a very long time now. One of the things I've learned through all of my practice is that Parkour really is a way of life. The more training I do the more I begin to understand who I really am. My name is David Bell, at least thats what my parents called me. But now I am better known by what my friends call me,Nitros. When I practice Parkour they say I become this whole other guy, I'm stronger, faster, and most of all fearless. I lose all of my everyday fears and problems and I become who I really am inside.


I UNLEASHED MY INNER MONKEY!...or so my friends say

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Parkour must be doing a number on you since you've forgotten how to spell your name. Why even take the time to create a lie like this. I mean, really, what does it serve?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!